Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on the Kennebecasis River, 3.71 km N of Lakeside
and 6.75 km WSW of Passekeag
: Hampton Parish
, Kings County
: PO Hampton
from 1831: in 1866 Hampton was a farming community with about 70 families: in 1871 Hampton had a population of 250: in 1904 Hampton was a summer resort and a settlement with 1 post office, 3 stores, 3 hotels, 1 match factory, 1 saw and grist mill, 3 churches and a population of 800: included the community of Hampton Ferry: PO Hampton Ferry
1852-c1885: in 1871 Hampton Ferry had a population of 150: included the settlement of Ossekeag: PO 1859-1916: William Francis Ganong identified the Mi'kmaq name for Ossekeag as Pesken'kick or "marshy brook": in 1866 Ossekeag was a farming community with approximately 46 families: in 1871 Ossekeag had a population of 300: in 1904 it was a station on the Intercolonial Railway, a junction on the Hampton and St. Martins Railway and a settlement with 1 post office, 7 stores, 1 hotel, 1 machine shop, 4 churches and a population of 500: included the community of Hampton Station
: PO Hampton Station
1916-1969: included Woodpecker Hall
, which was named by settlers for an estate in Ireland: formerly called Nasons Vale for Simon Nason, a settler in the area: in 1866 Woodpecker Hall was a farming community with about 21 families: became part of Hampton Station and then Hampton: Hampton was incorporated as a village in 1966 and later became a town.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3680 x 2837 - 2.8 mb