GNB
Provincial Archives of New Brunswick

Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present

Community name search    

Exhibit Home | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions


arrow Hughes
Skip Navigation Links
Description
Located on S side of the Southwest Miramichi River, 4.23 km WSW of Nelson-Miramichi: Nelson Parish, Northumberland County: first called Nelson Reserve: PO 1893-1928: in 1898 Nelson Reserve was a farming, lumbering and fishing community with 1 post office and a population of 150: renamed Hughes in 1928: PO Hughes 1928-1947 with T.E. Hughes as the first postmaster.

Latitude : 46° 57'

Longitude : 65° 36'

County : Northumberland

Parish : Nelson

County location in province
---
Northumberland

County map showing parishes
---
+ Zoom in
Northumberland

Cadastral Maps
---
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.

+ Zoom in
GM069-1801
or download the full size version.
2405x1798
1.4 mb


Other communities within the vicinity of    

CommunityDistance (Kilometers)Bearing
Nelson Junction 1.27 90° E
Jones Crossing 1.85 0° N
Oxford Cove 1.85 0° N
Derby Junction 1.85 0° N
Bridgetown 2.25 34° NE
Northwest Bridge 2.25 34° NE
Lower Derby 2.25 214° SW
Amos 2.25 214° SW
Beaubears Island 3.14 54° NE
South Nelson Road 3.14 54° NE
Chatham Junction 3.14 126° SE
Passmore 3.14 126° SE
Eel Ground 3.14 306° NW
Indiantown 3.14 306° NW
Ivory Road 4.23 64° ENE
South Nelson 4.23 64° ENE
Nelson-Miramichi 4.23 64° ENE
Nelson 4.23 64° ENE
Eel Ground First Nation, Natoaganeg 4.49 326° NW
Manderville 4.49 214° SW
* Distances and bearings were calculated by using the latitude and longitude of the community.


4.5.1