GNB
Provincial Archives of New Brunswick

Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present

Community name search   

home Introduction |  home Alphabetical Listing |  home County Listing |  home Indexes |  home Definitions


arrow Janeville
Skip Navigation Links
Description
Located on the Nepisiguit Bay, 6.1 km SSW of Clifton: New Bandon Parish and Bathurst Parish, Gloucester County: named for Jane Dawson, wife of Benjamin Dawson who settled here in 1835: PO 1853-1913: in 1866 Janeville was a farming and fishing settlement with approximately 28 resident families including 10 Ellis families: in 1871 it had a population of 150: in 1898 Janeville was a station on the Caraquet and Gulf Shore Railway and a settlement with 1 post office, 1 store, 1 hotel, 1 lobster factory, 1 sawmill, 1 church and a population of 200.

Latitude : 47° 41'

Longitude : 65° 26'

County : Gloucester

Parish : New Bandon

County location in province
---
Gloucester

County map showing parishes
---
+ Zoom in
Gloucester

Cadastral Maps
---
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.

+ Zoom in
GM017-1870
or download the full size version.
3821 x 2776 - 2.4 mb


Other communities within the vicinity of    

CommunityDistance (Kilometers)Bearing
Glen Anglin 3.75 270° W
Miller Brook 4.18 244° WSW
Springfield 4.18 116° ESE
Springfield Settlement 4.18 116° ESE
Canobie 4.99 90° E
* Distances and bearings were calculated by using the latitude and longitude of the community.


4.10.0