Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located 10.93 km ESE of Chapman
, on the road to Port Elgin
: Botsford Parish
, Westmorland County
: first called Savagetown for William Savage, John Savage, Patrick Savage and Dennis Savage, who settled here about 1827: renamed Emigrant Settlement in 1855: PO Emigrant Settlement
1855-1890: in 1866 Emigrant Settlement was a farming and lumbering settlement with approximately 95 resident families, including 9 Allen families: in 1871 it had a population of 200: renamed in 1890 for the town of Melrose in Scotland: PO Melrose
1890-1968: in 1898 Melrose was a station on the New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island Railway and a settlement with 1 post office, 1 store and a population of 200.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3847 x 2992 - 2.3 mb