GNB
Provincial Archives of New Brunswick

Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present

Community name search   

home Introduction |  home Alphabetical Listing |  home County Listing |  home Indexes |  home Definitions


arrow Belledune
Skip Navigation Links
Description
Images
Bibliography
Located on Chaleur Bay, 6.7 km NW of Pointe-Verte: Beresford Parish, Gloucester County and Durham Parish, Restigouche County: William Francis Ganong identified the Mi'kmaq name for Belledune as Meskeeneegeach': settled by Irish immigrants in 1825 and and later by Scottish immigrants in 1832: PO from 1845: in 1866 Belledune was a farming, fishing and lumbering community with approximately 40 resident families: in 1871 it had a population of about 400: in 1904 Belledune was on the Intercolonial Railway and had 1 post office, 4 stores, 1 hotel, 2 churches and a population of 450: included the community of Turgeon: PO Turgeon 1905-1966: Belledune was incorporated as a village in 1968: today Belledune is a deep-water harbour and the site of an industrial complex.

Latitude : 47° 54'

Longitude : 65° 49'

County : Gloucester

Parish : Beresford

County location in province
---
Gloucester

County map showing parishes
---
+ Zoom in
Gloucester

Cadastral Maps
---
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.

+ Zoom in
GM008-0262
or download the full size version.
3014 x 2529 - 1.6 mb


Other communities within the vicinity of    

CommunityDistance (Kilometers)Bearing
Turgeon 2.49 270° W
Belledune Station 3.71 180° S
Hodgin 4.97 270° W
* Distances and bearings were calculated by using the latitude and longitude of the community.


4.9.2