Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
City located at the bend in the Petitcodiac River: Moncton Parish
, Westmorland County
: first settled by the Acadians and then occupied by Pennsylvania Germans in 1765: PO Bend in the Petitcodiac
1833-1865: renamed Moncton: PO Moncton
from 1865: in 1871 Moncton had a population of 1,300: in 1898 it was a port of entry, a railway, commercial and manufacturing centre, and headquarters for the Intercolonial Railway and the Moncton and Buctouche Railway with several public buildings, an opera house, 1 post office, 1 foundry and machine company, 1 cotton mill, 1 machine shop, 1 grist and flour mill, 2 planing mills including sash and door factories, 2 steam sawmills, 1 shingle mill, 1 hay press factory, 3 carriage factories, 1 barrel factory, about 100 stores, 3 hotels, 10 churches and a population of 10,000: included the community of Newton Heights located in the W end: PO Newton Heights
1922-1943: also included the community of Parkton, located 3 km NW of city centre: PO Parkton
1920-1954: also included the community of Lewisville
, located 1.5 km NE of Moncton: also included the community of Lutes Mountain
: Moncton was incorporated as a city in 1890.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3650 x 2713 - 2.6 mb