Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on the Restigouche River, 4.16 km ENE of Atholville
: Eldon Parish
and Addington Parish
, Restigouche County
: first called Cavenick's Point or Kavanagh's Point, Quinton's Point and Martin's Point: renamed for Sir Archibald Campbell (1769-1843), the lieutenant governor of New Brunswick from 1831-1837: PO Campbellton
from 1837 with A. Ritchie as the first postmaster: in 1866 Campbellton was a farming and lumbering community with approximately 50 families: in 1871 it had a population of 600: in 1898 Campbellton was a sub-port of entry, a station on the Intercolonial Railway and a town with 1 post office, 45 stores, 3 hotels, 7 steam sawmills, 2 sash and door factories and planing mills, 1 foundry and machine shop, 2 printing offices, 6 churches and a population of 3,500: included Richardsville and St. Albert
: Campbellton was incorporated as a town in 1888 and as a city in 1958.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3712 x 2734 - 3 mb