GNB
Provincial Archives of New Brunswick

Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present

Community name search    

Exhibit Home | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions


arrow Canterbury
Skip Navigation Links
Description
Images
Documents
Bibliography
Located at the mouth of the Eel River, 7.59 km NE of Skiff Lake: Canterbury Parish, York County: established in 1825 and named Howard Settlement after Sir Howard Douglas (1776-1861), lieutenant-governor of New Brunswick from 1823-1831: renamed Canterbury in 1859 for Sir John Henry Thomas Manners-Sutton (1814-1877), third Viscount of Canterbury and the lieutenant-governor of New Brunswick from 1854-1861: PO Canterbury Station 1859-1969: included Shangallee: in 1866 Canterbury was a farming community with about 93 families, including 6 Dickinson families: in 1871 it was a station on the New Brunswick and Canada Railway and had a population of 150: in 1904 Canterbury was a station on the Canadian Pacific Railway and a settlement with 1 post office, 5 stores, 3 hotels, 3 churches and a population of 400: PO Canterbury from 1969: Canterbury was incorporated as a village in 1966.

Latitude : 45° 53'

Longitude : 67° 29'

County : York

Parish : Canterbury

County location in province
---
York

County map showing parishes
---
+ Zoom in
York

Cadastral Maps
---
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.

+ Zoom in
GM123-0597
or download the full size version.
3700x2760
2.5 mb

+ Zoom in
GM124-0597
or download the full size version.
3676x2769
2.7 mb


Other communities within the vicinity of    

CommunityDistance (Kilometers)Bearing
Marne 1.85 0° N
Grant's Crossing 1.85 0° N
California Settlement 2.26 215° SW
Grant Settlement 2.58 90° E
Dead Creek 3.18 234° SW
Carroll Ridge 3.93 161° SSE
Hartin Settlement 4.29 296° WNW
* Distances and bearings were calculated by using the latitude and longitude of the community.