On 25 April 1873 the wharf at Mavis Bank was abuzz with excitement, as more than 500 men, women, and children, primarily from the northeastern Scottish counties of Aberdeenshire and Kincardineshire, boarded the Anchor Line's steamer Castalia bound for North America. As these emigrants waved good-bye to the city of Glasgow, the Scottish hills beyond, and their kin and friends who crowded the quay, their thoughts undoubtedly strayed to New Kincardineshire, the colony they would establish in the New Brunswick wilderness, and the many challenges this would bring.
The New Kincardineshire settlement was the dream of Captain William Brown of Stonehaven, Kincardineshire, and his friends and business partners, Robert Stewart, a prosperous tenant farmer, and David Taylor, editor of the Stonehaven Journal. A sea captain with the Anchor Shipping Line, Brown envisioned a tightly-knit Scottish colony in New Brunswick, built by men and women from a small area of Scotland and strengthened by bonds of kinship and tradition. In 1873 Brown's dream would become a reality. The Kincardine settlement he promoted in Victoria County celebrates its Scottish heritage to this day.