More Colonists Arrive
In 1873 George Troup, a provincial immigration agent, and Thomas Potts, a Dominion immigration agent, formalized an agreement with the New Brunswick government to bring an additional 100 Scottish settlers to the province. Fifty of these families were destined for the Scotch Colony's new settlements, Kintore and Upper Kintore, and the other 50 for Balmoral, Restigouche County. The terms of settlement were similar to those accepted by Captain Brown in 1872.
The Anchor Line's steamer Sidonian, with no fewer than 210 passengers aboard, docked at Saint John on 14 May 1874. The newcomers then boarded the train for Woodstock, travelling from there upriver aboard the City of Fredericton. These families quickly settled into their new homes which were waiting for them. With the addition of these new arrivals, the number of colonists totalled about 620 by the end of the year. Over the next few years, immigrants continued to come to Scotch Colony's main communities - Stonehaven (Kincardine), Kintore, and Upper Stonehaven (Bon Accord) - some to join friends and family who had previously settled there. In time more roads were opened up, and the log cabins were replaced by framed houses.