More Danish Settlers Arrive
In April 1873 Captain Heller's third group of Danish settlers, numbering about 80, landed at Saint John. Surveyor-General Stevenson encouraged the new arrivals to remain there temporarily and take employment. The previous winter had been harsh, and much snow remained in the Danish settlement, so it would be some time before the newcomers could begin working the land. Likewise, the second immigrant house, where they would be sheltered for a few months, was still under construction. Temporary accommodation was found for them in the military barracks at Saint John, and some of the men accepted work laying pipes for the St. John Water Works.
Near the end of May, the Danish colonists made their way by steamer upriver to New Demark, the new name for the settlement. A revised agreement was made whereby the government was relieved of its obligation to find employment for all adult males for two years. Each colonist was now guaranteed 100 acres, about $110 to be used for house construction, several cleared acres on their lots, and temporary housing. On 7 June a fourth party of Danes landed at the mouth of the Salmon River to join the settlement.