The Highlanders' Removal
Growth and Development
Founding of Harvey Settlement
A fourth party of settlers, totalling approximately 137 farm labourers and tradesmen hailing primarily from the northeastern Border region of England and Scotland, disembarked at Saint John on 14 July 1837. Intending to join the Stanley settlers, they travelled to Fredericton aboard the steamboat Waterwitch only to learn that the New Brunswick Land Company had stopped all work at the settlement until the arrival of the newly-appointed commissioner, Richard Hayne. The immigrants took shelter in the newly-constructed Fredericton hospital and discussed their options.
The next day they met with Lieutenant-Governor Sir John Harvey, L. A. Wilmot, and other prominent government men. The settlers stated their wish to remain together, and were promised a tract of land, at a reasonable rate, located on the new post road leading from Fredericton to St. Andrews. In August, they started work on their 25 lots, clearing approximately one and one-half acres on each and constructing log cabins. Over the winter months, most of the immigrants found shelter in Fredericton, but the following April, they took up their land at Harvey settlement, located approximately 25 miles southwest of the city. The settlers named their new home in honour of the Lieutenant-Governor.