Growth and Development
Bishop John Inglis Visits the Settlement
The Settlement Takes Shape
Stanley's population fluctuated over the first few decades, from 890 in 1837 to 500 by 1842, due, in part, to the Highlanders' removal. Despite this, the settlement began to take shape in the 1840s, as tradesmen and artisans set up shops. In 1842 Stanley was home to a tailor, two cabinetmakers, a carpenter, a wheelright, and a shoemaker. Dr. James B. Toldervy looked after the settlers' medical needs until 1838. Three years later James Neales arrived from England, on the company's invitation, to become the village doctor.
Social institutions were also established in the early years of the settlement's existence. Stanley's first schoolhouse had been built within a year of the immigrants' arrival, in partial fulfillment of the company's agreement. In 1844 Commissioner Hayne pressed for the construction of a new school atop Stanley Hill. Mr. Waugh, the company's surveyor, served as one of its first teachers. The building was used until about 1851 when 113 children were reportedly attending classes there. The commissioner's presence was being felt in almost every area of the settlement's development.