Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on S side of the Buctouche River, 4.51 km SW of Upper Buctouche
, on the road to Sweeneyville
: Saint Mary Parish
, Kent County
: first called Big Buctouche River, which in 1866 was a farming and lumbering community with approximately 20 families: also included Head Buctouche, which in 1866 was a farming and lumbering settlement with approximately 10 families: renamed Coates Mills for John Coates, who immigrated from England about 1810: PO Coates Mills
1861-1955 with John Coates as first postmaster: in 1871 the community and surrounding district had a population of 200: in 1904 Coates Mills had 1 post office, 1 sawmill, 1 grist mill, 1 church and a population of 100.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3683 x 2802 - 3.1 mb