Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on N side of the St. John River opposite Fredericton
: Saint Marys Parish
, York County
: first called Moncton: renamed Gibson for Alexander Gibson (1819-1913), an industrialist from Marysville
: PO Gibson
1892-1918: in 1898 Gibson was on the Canadian Pacific Railway and Canada Eastern Railway and had 1 post office, 6 stores, 1 hotel, 1 sawmill, 1 planing mill, railway repair shops, several churches and a population of 500: included the settlement of Nashwaak Station: PO Nashwaak Station
1873-1891: also included the community of St. Marys, located at the N end of the Princess Margaret bridge, 1.5 km W of Gibson: PO St. Mary's Ferry
1868-1917: in 1871 St. Mary's Ferry had a population of 150: in 1904 St. Mary's Ferry was a station on the Canadian Pacific Railway and a village with 1 post office, 5 stores, 3 hotels, 1 soap factory, 1 pevee and hames factory, 1 machine shop, 1 church and a population of 1,000: also included the community of North Devon
: PO North Devon
1917-1947: also included the settlement of South Devon
, located 1.5 km W of Barkers Point
: PO South Devon
1917-1947: Devon was incorporated as a town in 1917 and named for Lord Victor Christian William Cavendish (1868-1938), 9th Duke of Devonshire and governor-general of Canada from 1916-1921: now within the city of Fredericton.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3805 x 2776 - 2.7 mb