Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located at the mouth of the Madawaska River, 7.76 km WNW of Saint-Basile
: Madawaska Parish
, Madawaska County
: first called Petit-Sault or Little Falls for the falls located at the mouth of the Madawaska River: PO Little Falls
1847-1851: included the settlement of Madawaska: PO 1837-1864: in 1866 Madawaska was a farming community with 185 resident families, including 9 Albert, 7 Michaud, 10 Ouellett and 7 Picord families: renamed Edmundston in 1850 for Sir Edmund Walker Head (1805-1868), lieutenant-governor of New Brunswick from 1848-1854: PO Edmundston
from 1851: in 1871 it had a population of 400: in 1898 Edmundston was a port of entry, terminus of the northern section of the Canadian Pacific Railway, a junction on the Témiscouata Railway and a locality with 1 post office, 11 stores, 4 hotels, 1 shingle mill, 1 sawmill, 3 churches and a population of 2,000: Edmundston was incorporated as a city in 1952.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3769 x 2982 - 3.2 mb