Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on W side of the St. John River, 5.71 km NNW of Connell
: Simonds Parish
, Carleton County
: settled in 1832 and first called Buttermilk Creek: renamed for Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), heroine of the Crimean War (1853-1856) and founder of modern nursing: PO Florenceville
from the year 1853: in 1871 Florenceville and the surrounding district had a population of 350: in 1898 it was a settlement with 1 post office, 6 stores, 1 hotel, 1 sawmill, 1 grist mill, 1 church and a population of 250: included PO Florenceville East
1865-1907: in 1898 Florenceville East was a station on the Canadian Pacific Railway and a village with 3 stores, 1 hotel, 2 churches and a population of 200: PO East Florenceville
1907-1962: Florenceville was incorporated as a village in 1966: It is the home of McCain Foods, one of the largest food processing operations in the world. It amalgamated with the adjacent village of Bristol
in 2008 to form Florenceville-Bristol.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3652 x 2747 - 2.6 mb