Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on the St. John River: York County
: capital of New Brunswick: William Francis Ganong identified the Maliseet name for Fredericton as Seedahn'sis: called Sainte-Anne
by the Acadians, then Saint Anne's Point
by the New England Planters, and renamed Fredericton in 1785: named for Prince Frederick-Augustus, the Duke of York (1763-1827), Bishop of Osnaburg, and second son of King GeorgeIII: PO from 1785: in 1871 it had a population of 6,000: in 1898 Fredericton was a port of entry with 1 post office, numerous stores, 10 hotels, 4 sawmills, 2 planing mills, 2 shingle mills, 1 grist mill, 1 sash and door factory, 1 tannery, 6 carriage factories, 2 foundries, 1 machine shop, 1 broom factory, 1 leather factory, 1 creamery, 8 churches and a population of about 8,000: included Victoria Mills, located 3 km SE of city centre: PO Victoria Mills
1938-1962 was located at the site of Alexander Shives' mill, which was established in 1854: also included the community of Wisely, located 5 km SE of city centre: PO 1888-1909 with A. Wisely as postmaster: in 1898 Wisely had 1 post office and a population of 70: Fredericton was incorporated as a city in 1848.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3805 x 2776 - 2.7 mb