Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on W bank of the St. John River: Grand Falls Parish
, Victoria County
: William Francis Ganong identified the Maliseet name for Grand Falls as Chikchunikabik: by the mid-1700's the French named the area Long Sault
: renamed Grand Falls: a British military post by 1790: the settlement grew with the development of sawmills in the 1830's: PO from 1837: in 1866 Grand Falls was a community with approximately 55 families: included the settlement of Colebrooke: PO 1851-c1870: in 1871 Colebrooke
and the surrounding district had a population of 700: Grand Falls was incorporated as a town in 1890 and in 1904 it was a port of entry, a station on the Canadian Pacific Railway and a town with 15 stores, 3 hotels, 1 sawmill, 1 grist mill, 1 cheese factory, 1 butter factory, 3 churches and a population of 1000.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3817 x 2780 - 2.7 mb