Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on W side of the St. John River, 9.21 km ENE of Benton
and 6.5 km SE of the former Maliseet village of Medogteg
: during the 17th century the French called the area Medoctet
: Canterbury Parish
, York County
: included the settlement of Eel River
: PO Eel River
c1847-1855: PO Canterbury
1860-1896: in 1866 Canterbury was a farming community with approximately 73 families, including 17 Dow and 7 Grant families: PO Meductic
from 1896: in 1898 Meductic (or Lake Canterbury) was a farming settlement with 1 post office, 4 stores, 2 hotels, 1 grist mill, 2 churches and a population of 300: also called Front Canterbury: Meductic was incorporated as a village in 1966.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3676 x 2769 - 2.7 mb