Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on the Kennebecasis Bay, 2.27 km NE of Renforth
and 3.71 km S of Fairvale
: Rothesay Parish
, Kings County
: named for the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Saxony, Cornwall and Rothesay, later King EdwardVII, who visited New Brunswick in 1860 and sailed to the city of Fredericton
from a Rothesay wharf: PO Kennebeccasis Bay
1853-1859: PO Rothesay
from 1866 with Miss S.E. Davidson as first postmaster: in 1866 Rothesay was a farming community with 15 families: in 1871 it had a population of 150: in 1898 Rothesay was a station on the Intercolonial Railway and a settlement with 1 post office, 2 stores, 1 hotel, a private school for boys, Netherwood School for girls, 5 churches and a population of 520: included Church Road: in 1866 Church Road was a farming community with about 7 families: also included Fairfield: in 1866 Fairfield was a farming community with approximately 30 resident families: PO Kennebecasis Island
1897-1937: Rothesay was incorporated as a village in 1921 and as a town in 1956.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3782 x 2794 - 2.6 mb