Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on E side of the St. Croix River opposite Calais, Maine: Saint Stephen Parish
, Charlotte County
: settled by Loyalists in 1783: first known as Scoodic and then Dover Hill: renamed St. Stephen: PO St. Stephen
from 1825: St. Stephen was incorporated as a town in 1871 and had a population of 3,000: in 1898 it was a seaport and port of entry as well as the terminus of the Shore Line Railway: St. Stephen had 1 post office, 90 stores, 2 hotels, 1 candy factory, 1 soap factory, 1 cigar factory, 1 woodworking factory, 1 suspender factory, 1 carriage factory, 6 churches and a population of about 3,000: included the settlements of Morristown and Saltwater: also included Union Mills
: PO Union Mills
1913-1969: St. Stephen and Milltown
were amalgamated in 1973 to form St. Stephen-Milltown
: the name reverted to St. Stephen in 1975.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3769 x 2960 - 2.8 mb