Archives provinciales du Nouveau-Brunswick

Fort Havoc (Wallace Hale)

Info Le langage employé dans les textes est celui utilisé par Wallace Hale. Les documents dont les Archives provinciales font l’acquisition ne sont pas traduits de la langue dans laquelle ils ont été produits.

Introduction | Généalogies | Documents de référence sur les Loyalistes | Textes de référence sur les Loyalistes | Nouveau-Brunswick | Album de W.O. Raymond | Listes de passagers de navires


of the

Ancestry and Descendants


Amos Dickinson,



Since this article was written, a decade ago, it is understood that the Mayflower Society have accepted Amos Dickinson, Loyalist, and his proven descendants, as members of the Society, based on proven descent from Capt. John and Elizabeth (Howland) Dickinson. The lineage was reputedly published in two parts in the Mayflower Quarterly, but these have not been seen by this writer.

At the close of the American Revolution, several Loyalist Dickinsons came to what is now New Brunswick from New York State. In The Loyalists of New Brunswick, Esther Clark Wright lists:

Amos Dickinson, from New York
Darius Dickinson, tailor, Long Islad, N.Y.
Gilbert Dickinson, Dutchess County, N.Y.
Hannah Dickinson
Isaac Dickinson, tailor
James Dickinson, merchant, Dutchess County, N.Y.
Lt. Nathaniel Dickinson, Massachusetts, Commissary-General's Department
Samuel Dickinson, Dutchess County, N.Y.
Tertullus Dickinson, Dutchess County, N.Y., Barrackmaster-General's Department.

In his Early Loyalist Saint John David G. Bell fleshed out the Loyalist Dickinsons to some extent, and his tabulated data are worthy of reference.

To add a small measure of complexity, there were two Dickinsons bearing the name Tertullus in New Brunswick. Wright indicates that he of the Barrackmaster-General's Department eventually settled in Carleton County, which is incorrect. Major Tertullus Dickinson appears to have returned to the United States. A younger Tertullus did, indeed, settle in Carleton County, but his parentage remains obscure.

In a preliminary study of the Loyalist Dickinsons of New York, Norris Margeson Whiston, Brookfield, Colchester Co., Nova Scotia, in addition to his own research, corresponded to some extent at least, with Ruby Dickinson of Hartland, N.B., Harold Dickinson of Houlton, Maine, and a number of other Dickinson researchers. Much time and effort has been lavished on the Dickinson family and at least two genealogies published.

The consensus of opinion is that all the Loyalist Dickinsons from Dutchess County, New York State, were related, and it seems to be generally accepted that they had earlier removed from Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York, to Dutchess County.

There would seem to be some justification for supposing that Amos Dickinson, the Loyalist, late of Dutchess County, was a descendant of Capt. John Dickinson of Oyster Bay, who married Elizabeth Howland. Should that connection be proved, it would make many Dickinson descendants eligible for membership in the Mayflower Society, important for those who care about that sort of thing.

Among the other children of Capt. John and Elizabeth (Howland) Dickinson, two deserve particular mention:

6. Samuel Dickinson, born 26 January 1665, died before 1733, married Lydia ____________, resided at Oyster Bay, Long Island. His son:

2. John Dickinson, born at Oyster Bay, died after 14 April 1748 in Putnam (Dutchess) County, New York. John Dickinson married, first, Freelove Coles Wright and, second, before March 1736/7, Sarah McCoune. John and Sarah (McCoune) Dickinson had one son, John, a saddler, who died before 14 April 1748, and possibly other children.

Note that Wesley Baker, in his Descendants of Philemon Dickerson and Long Island Descendants of Capt. John Dickinson, disputes the notion that John and Sara (McCoune) Dickinson removed to Putnam County, citing a petition by John Dickinson of Queens County, farmer, dated 26 October 1748, for 700 acres of vacant land between the townships of Oyster Bay and Hempstead. There is no mention in the Oyster Bay records of the petition being granted, so it is conceivable that, his petition denied, John Dickinson did remove to Putnam County, and is the John Dickinson mentioned in the affidavit of Timothy Shaw, below.

9. James Dickinson, born 27 May 1675, died at Smithtown, Long Island, in 1737. His wife's name is unknown. His children were:
1. James Dickinson Junior who married Sarah Underhill. She was born about 1713, daughter of Abraham and Sarah (Townsend) Underhill. In 1748 James Jr. and wife Sarah, of South Precinct, Dutchess County, New York, "late of Oyster Bay," sold a double house, owned by Abraham Underhill, to Jacob Townsend and William Butler. Notes on a land transaction in the Thorne family genealogy indicate Abraham Underhill was residing, or at least owned property, at White Plains, Dutchess (Putnam) County, New York.

2. Amos Dickinson, married Hannah _____________.

On 13 August 1702 Adolphe Philipse obtained a deed from the Indians to a quantity of land in the southern part of Dutchess County (later to become Putnam County), adjoining the "Northernmost part of Westchester County." Title to that land was again confirmed on 6 March 1765 by the Lieutenant-Governor and Council at New York, in response to an attempted Indian claim to the land.

On 6 March 1767, one Timothy Shaw deposed in an affidavit that he was a tenant under Adolph Philipse, "now deceased," the land "being the land now claimed by Beverly Robinson, Roger Morris and Philip Philipse," and was well acquainted with all the settlements made in the Upper Patent "within the last twenty-five years." He further deposed that when he first became acquainted with the Upper Patent, a number of persons were settled there, including John Dickenson, James Dickenson and Amos Dickenson.

The 1777 Tax List of Philip Philipse Patent listed, in the Fredericksburg Precinct, James Dickenson estate, John Dickenson, Gilbert Dickenson estate, Samuel Dickenson, Nathaniel Dickerson's widow, Tertullus Dickenson, James Dickenson Junior, and John Vermilya "on Dickinson's farm."

The History of Putnam County by W. S. Pelletreau, published 1886, reveals that James Dickerson lived "a little south of what is known as Sodom Corners, in Southeast," and that John Dickerson was at Southeast Center or Sodom. The history also mentions a road laid out in 1752 from Amos Dickenson's to Jeremiah Jones, and another beginning at John Dickenson's mill to the highway "that leads to the meeting house."

Pelletreau lists Tertullus Dickenson as a supervisor of South Precinct in 1770-71; James Dickenson as an assessor in 1754, 1755-56, 1760, and from 1761 to 1765; Tertullus Dickenson as an assessor from 1767 to 1769, and James Dickenson Jr. as an assessor in 1771.

He lists Samuel Dickenson as a clerk in 1763 and Eleazer Baker as clerk in 1767. In 1768 James Dickenson appears as a Justice of the Peace for Dutchess County and Tertullus Dickenson as one of the poor masters of the South Precinct "of said County." The South Precinct was divided into the three Precincts of Fredericksburg, Philipse, and South East, apparently in 1772.

The Philipse family rarely sold land, instead leasing sections, often on long term leases. In his affidavit, Timothy Shaw estimated there were as many as 300 families settled on the Patent before the year 1756.

Amos Dickenson was among those listed as insolvent debtors in "An Act for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors within this Colony" passed 8 March 1773 by the Governor and Council of the State of New York. He is listed again in a similar act passed 19 March 1774, this time as a resident of Dutchess County and in gaol. Creditors who insisted that debtors be confined to gaol were ordered to pay a weekly sum of three shillings, six pence, to the debtor, presumably for his maintenance while confined.

Vital records of the various Dickinsons in Dutchess County have not been found, but that may not constitute an insurmountable barrier. Documenting the ancestry and descendants of all Dickinson males in Dutchess County is not the ultimate aim of this exercise, nor does it seem to be necessary for the purpose at hand.

Amos Dickinson, resident in Philipse Patent, Dutchess County, was son of James Dickinson, who, in turn, was the son of Capt. John and Elizabeth (Howland) Dickinson. While the opinion that all the Dickinsons in Dutchess County were somehow related seems to be generally held, that, too, is irrelevant.

Amos Dickinson, Loyalist, who arrived at Saint John, N.B., with the Spring Fleet, is listed as having a family of one adult male, one adult female, five children over the age of 10, and one servant at New York. It would seem incredible that a man not long out of debtor's prison, presuming he is that Amos Dickinson, would employ a servant. A non-family member, residing in a household, may possibly have been recorded as a "servant" even though not actually employed in that capacity. His family is listed, on arrival at Saint John, as having one adult male, one adult female, two children over the age of 10 and 1 child under that age.

The difference in Amos' family at New York and Saint John may be due to a variety of circumstances. Perhaps a child aged just 10 years, or barely short of that age, was listed in the "over 10" classification at New York and in the "under 10" class at Saint John. Possibly two, or even three, of the children over 10 at New York declined to make the voyage to Saint John; perhaps they died at sea, or possibly they went elsewhere.

The "servant" at New York may have been the younger Tertullus Dickinson, although he is listed by himself at New York, and again, by himself at Saint John. While the younger (to differentiate him from Major Tertullus Dickinson, who may or may not have been his father) Tertullus seems to have attached himself to Amos and his known sons in New Brunswick, nothing has been found to indicate that Tertullus was actually a son of Amos.

Of the Loyalist Dickinsons at Saint John, it has been established that Major Tertullus Dickinson and Samuel Dickinson were brothers, and that Henry and Isaac Dickinson, both single men, were brothers.

Amos Dickinson, in a petition for land at Gagetown dated 15 March 1785, stated he was residing at Maugerville, was a farmer, and includes "a new Farm will require all the Strength Age & Sufferings have left him."

On the same date, 15 March 1785, Darius and Arden Dickinson petitioned for lot 70 at Gagetown, stating that Darius "will next May be 21 years old" and Arden "18 in April next," indicating birth years of 1764 and 1767 respectively.

In another petition, dated 17 July 1785, for land on Ox Island, Amos Dickinson mentions "his large family," which may have been a slight exaggeration.

There would seem to be no doubt that Amos Dickinson, the Loyalist, was the same Amos Dickinson, the insolvent debtor, named in the 1773 and 1774 Acts and in gaol in Dutchess County. Perhaps it was Amos' farm on which John Vermilya was listed in the 1777 Tax list, since Amos doesn't appear on that list.

One wonders why, given their fairly prominent positions in Dutchess County, the other Dickinsons allowed Amos to remain in debtors' prison. Perhaps his indebtedness was too great or perhaps their resources allowed them to do no more than provide for Amos' wife and family while he languished in gaol.

Amos Dickinson is probably he who died, of consumption, 27 March 1803 in the Northampton parish Anglican Church records. His age at death is unknown.

The available data, and the lack of any information to the contrary, points to Amos Dickinson, the Loyalist, being the son of James Dickinson, of Smithtown, Long Island.


1. Capt. John Dickinson, removed from Massachusetts to Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York. He married 10 July 1651 at Plymouth, Massachusetts, Elizabeth Howland, born about 1631, died 1691 at Oyster Bay. She was the daughter of John and Elizabeth (Tilley) Howland, and had previously been married to Ephraim Hicks.

John Dickinson (or Dickerson, according to records of the time) was commander of the Desire of Barnstable, Massachusetts, the vessel owned by Samuel Mayo that brought the goods of his first settlers from the Cape Cod area in 1653 to Oyster Bay. The Howland genealogy states that John Dickinson had been previously married to Elizabeth, sister of Ephraim Hicks, but the Long Island Quaker records indicate his first wife was Frances ___________.

The published Descendants of Captain John and Elizabeth Howland Dickinson of Oyster Bay, Long Island, by Marguerite S. Dickinson, provides a list of the children of John and Elizabeth (Howland) Dickinson:

1. Elizabeth Dickinson, born 11 October 1652, probably at Salisbury, Massachusetts, married, first, Caleb Wright, and, second, 3 August 1697 Gersham Lockwood of Greenwich, Connecticut.

2. Joseph Dickinson, born 24 December 1654, probably at Plymouth, Massachusetts, died about 1721 at Cedar Swamp, Long Island, N.Y. Joseph Dickinson married 1675 Rose Townsend, daughter of Henry Townsend, at Oyster Bay, Long Island.

3. Mercy (Mary?) Dickinson, born 23 February 1657 at Plymouth, Mass, died at Freehold, New Jersey, married Benjamin Harcutt.

4. Jabez Dickinson, born 23 February 1660 at Oyster Bay, Long Island.

5. Lydia Dickinson, born 5 August 1662, married 3 December 1677 Ephraim Carpenter.

6. Samuel Dickinson, born 26 January 1665, died before 7 February 1734 when his will was probated. Samuel Dickinson married Lydia _____________.

7. Mehitable Dickinson, born February 1667 at Oyster Bay, married Thomas Cheshire.

8. Hannah Dickinson, born 6 January 1671, married 27 August 1696 at Flushing Isaac Gibbs, son of Richard and Sarah Gibbs. They removed to Burlington County, New Jersey.

9. James Dickinson, born 27 May 1675, died 1737 at Smithtown, Long Island. Wesley Baker, in Descendants of Philemon Dickerson and Long Island Descendants of Capt. John Dickinson, states the date of death was "after 1741."

John Dickinson apparently died at Oyster Bay in 1683; his will being proved 12 March of that year. John Dickinson's will, dated 26th of 11th month (January) 1680, is recorded in Book A of the Oyster Bay town records and also in Queens County deeds, Liber A. In it, he bequeaths to son Joseph lands previously settled upon him, 5 shillings each to daughters Elizabeth and Mary, and directed wife Elizabeth to dispose of the remainder of the estate to the six youngest children, Lydia, Mehitable, Samuel, Hannah, James and Jabis(sic).

The will of Elizabeth Dickinson, dated 10 September 1691, was recorded in Book B, page 192 of the town records. She bequeathed her house, lot, orchard and meadow to son Jebus(sic), and on his death, they to go to her eldest son Joseph. Elizabeth bequeathed five shares of land to son Samuel and son James 2 of 3 rights in Old Purchase of Oyster Bay and 5 acres of land at Plains. She divided her right of commonage equally between sons Samuel, Jebus and James. Articles of furniture to daughter Hannah, grandson Robert Harcut to receive two sheep. The residue of her estate to youngest daughters Mehitable Cheshire and Hannah. Mehitable was married at the time, Hannah was not.

2. James Dickinson, born 27 May 1675, son of John and Elizabeth (Howland) Dickinson, died at Smithtown, Long Island, N.Y. 1737. His wife's name is unknown. He owned land at Oyster Bay and Smithtown. His children were:

1. James Dickinson, Jr., married Sarah Underhill, born about 1713, daughter of Abraham and Sarah (Townsend) Underhill. In 1748 James Dickinson Jr. and wife Sarah of South Precinct, Dutchess County, "late of Oyster Bay," sold a double house, owned by Abraham Underhill, to Jacob Townsend and William Butler.

2. Amos Dickinson, married Hannah ____________. (Hannah may be based solely on the 1737 deed of James Dickinson, witnessed by Amos and Hannah Dickinson. That Hannah may have been a sister.)

3. [ ? ] Dickinson, The Unknown, the Missing Link, father of Amos Dickinson, below. IF the line runs from Capt. John Dickinson of Oyster Bay, and there seems to be some grounds for that belief, the line of descent to the Loyalist Amos Dickinson may be missing a generation. However, I am not entirely persuaded such is the case.

NOTE: In the Oyster Bay town records, in 1726, an Amos Dickinson was a witness to a deed by James Townsend, James Dickinson and George Townsend to Wright Coles.

The same records contained an entry in 1737 of a deed by James Dickinson, of Smithtown, to James Dickinson Jr. of Oyster Bay, land adjoining Zebulon Dickinson, the deed witnessed by Amos Dickinson and Hannah Dickinson. In January 1739/40, Amos Dickinson said he saw the deed signed. Wesley Baker, cited previously, states it is believed that James Dickinson Jr. and Amos Dickinson were sons of James Dickinson, and that Hannah Dickinson was Amos' wife.

The only other references to Amos Dickinson in the Oyster Bay records are registration of a cattle ear-mark in 1736 and mention, in 1744, in a deed by Obadiah Smith to George Norton, witnessed by James Dickinson Jr., which reads in part, "Also 10 acres on the north side of Country road, where Amos Dickinson built a new house.". Wesley Baker believed that the house was constructed in, or before, 1741, the year his father, James, sold the Smithtown property to Obadiah Smith.

The Amos Dickinson of Oyster Bay, who registered his cattle ear-mark in 1736, had to be born not later than 1720. If he was the same Amos who witnessed the 1726 deed, an even earlier birth date, not later than 1708 to 1710, would be indicated. These dates would make Amos of age 22 to 32 at the time of the alleged removal to Philipse Patent in Dutchess County. Assuming the greater age, which better fits the Oyster Bay town records, and keeping in mind that would be his minimum age, Amos Dickinson would have been at least 75 years old when the 1785 land petition was filed in New Brunswick, and 93 years of age at the alleged time of death in Carleton County.

While these ages are not beyond the bounds of possibility, we have, by their own declarations, the ages of two of his sons, Darius and Arden. In their petition for land in New Brunswick, Darius indicated his year of birth as 1764, when Amos of Oyster Bay would have been at least 54 years old, and Arden indicated his birth year was 1767, when Amos would have been about 57. Certainly neither of these are biologically impossible, and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, we shall proceed on the assumption that Amos Dickinson of Oyster Bay, removed to Philipse Patent, Dutchess (now Putnam) County about 1742, in debtor's prison in 1773 and 1774, arrived in New Brunswick with the Spring Fleet at the close of the American Revolution, and was a vigorous, long-lived man. Certainly other early settlers in the area, including many who had seen hard service in the Loyalist regiments during the war, attained similar ages.

3. Amos Dickinson, born, perhaps, as early (or late) as 1708-1710, United Empire Loyalist, whether by choice or necessity, from Dutchess County, New York State, wife's name and ancestry unknown, probably the Mr. Dickinson who, according to the Anglican Church records, was buried in 1803 in Carleton County.

Amos Dickinson came to New Brunswick with the United Empire Loyalists from New York in 1783 with the Spring Fleet. His family at New York was listed as one adult male, one adult female, five children over 10 years of age, none under age 10, and one servant. Family on arrival at Saint John was one adult male, one adult female, two children over 10 years of age and one child under age 10. The two children over ten years of age would have been his sons, Darius and Arden, and the child under 10 would probably have been a third son, Peter.

Amos Dickinson suffered some misfortune in Dutchess County, New York, spending time in debtor's prison in 1773 and 1774, and seems to have fared little better in New Brunswick. His name does not appear among those granted land at Saint John and he appears to have settled initially at Maugerville, working for hire.

Amos petitioned for land, Lot 76 at Gagetown, on 15 March 1785, describing himself as being a farmer and stating "a new Farm will require all the Strength Age & Sufferings have left" and comments on his difficulty in drawing land during the previous two years.

On 15 March 1785, Darius and Arden Dickinson also petitioned for Lot 70 at Gagetown, stating they had "arrived with the first fleet, next May will be two years," and stating their ages as Darius "will next May be 21 years old" and Arden "18 in April next."

Amos again petitioned for land on 17 July 1785, this time on Ox Island "to support his large family." Then, on 12 August 1785, Amos petitioned for land on Washadamoca Lake. This was followed by a joint petition by Amos, Darius and Arden Dickinson filed 6 February 1786 for land on Washademock.

No later petitions for land by Amos Dickinson have been found, but a petition by Advardis, Henry and Jonathan Shaw 15 October 1802 asks for lots in the upper part of Woodstock, "one of which had been improved by A. Dickinson who sold it to A. Shaw."

On 22 February 1803, Arden and Peter Dickinson petitioned for a grant of land on which they had already built a grist mill "some distance above Grand Bar on Spring Stream." The family obviously was in Carleton County well before that date, as the records of the Woodstock and Northampton parishes of the Anglican Church contain family records in 1792.

The name of Amos Dickinson's wife is not known, nor is the date and place of his marriage. She may be the "Mrs. Dickinson" who was buried 22 February 1800, age 68, according to the Northampton parish Anglican Church records. If so, she was, perhaps, his second wife and may, or may not, have been the mother of Darius and Arden.

Amos described himself as "having a large family" which isn't reflected in the 1783 Loyalist rolls at Saint John. While there may have been additional children born in New Brunswick, and there are some claims that the younger Tertullus Dickinson was a son of Amos, the only certain offspring of Amos Dickinson are:

1. Darius Dickinson, born May 1764, married, prior to 1788, Mary Larlee, daughter of Dr. John and Mary Larlee. Darius was baptised as an adult in the Anglican Church at Woodstock 2 October 1792, along with wife Mary and three of their children.

2. Arden Dickinson, born April 1767, married 13 September 1792 Sarah (Sally) Campbell, Northampton, daughter of Tamberlin and Hester (Cunnabell) Campbell. Sarah was born about 1777, probably in Windsor, Nova Scotia, died 13 September 1792 and was buried in the Lower Brighton Cemetery.

3. Peter Dickinson, married 11 November 1802 Hannah Shea, Northampton, daughter of William Elihu and Lydia (Sperah) Shea. Peter was probably the "child under 10" in 1783 at Saint John, born about 1777. Peter died 1839 at the Parish of Wakefield, Carleton County, N.B.


4. Arden Dickinson, born April 1767, probably at Dutchess (now Putnam) County, New York State, son of Amos Dickinson, came to Saint John, with his father and family, in 1783 with the Loyalists in the Spring Fleet.

The earliest record of Arden (or Ardon, or Ard) Dickinson in New Brunswick is his petition, with brother Darius and father, Amos, for land on Washademoak, filed 18 February 1785. A petition by Lewis Powell, dated 1 April 1797 mentions he purchased the improvements on Lot 24 on Cumberland Bay, Grand Lake, from Arden Dickinson "sometime before 1793."

In Maxwell's Outline of the History of Central New Brunswick, Amos, Arden and Darius Dickinson are listed among the grantees of the Guides and Pioneers on the west bank of the Keswick in the Parish of Queensbury, York County, on lands granted 14 January 1788. How the Dickinsons obtained that land, assuming Maxwell is correct, remains a mystery, since none of these Dickinsons appear to have served in the Guides and Pioneers, or any other Loyalist or British regiment or brigade.

Arden and Peter Dickinson petitioned, 22 February 1803, for land in the Parish of Wakefield on which they had already built a grist mill "some distance above the Grand Bar on Spring Stream." Spring Stream does not appear on a 1786 map of the area, but it may have been the name for the run of water now known as Deep Creek, a strean that runs into the St. John River a few miles below Hartland, approximately in the area where Grand Bar existed, prior to the Mactaquac hydro-electric project. In the mid 1900s, Grand Bar was very visible and was perhaps even more of a landmark a century and a half earlier, before constant erosion and spring freshets reduced its size.

The Nicholson Report of 1803, listing the residents in the Parish of Wakefield, then being the area north of the Parishes of Northampton and Woodstock, lists Arden "Dickson" with a family of one adult male, one adult female, 3 children over 10 years of age and 3 children under 10. Arden was the only Dickinson listed by Arthur Nicholson, but Amos Dickinson was likely deceased, Darius may already have removed to Fredericton, and Peter Dickinson, having married into the Shea family of Northampton the previous year, may then have been residing in Northampton.

There is no doubt that Arden was living in the area well before Arthur Nicholson conducted his survey and before the time that he and Peter built their grist mill. The records of the Northampton parish of the Anglican Church contain the marriage of "Andrew Dickeson" to Sally "Cammel" on 13 September 1792, when Arden Dickinson married Sarah, daughter of Tamberlin Campbell and Hester Cunnabell.

Sarah Campbell was born, probably at Falmouth, Hants County, Nova Scotia about 1776, and came to New Brunswick with her parents, who settled in the Woodstock area. Sarah died 3 February 1867 and was buried in the Lower Brighton Cemetery, presumably beside her husband who had predeceased her, sometime after 1824. Her obituary, published in the Carleton Sentinel, edition of 9 February 1867, stated she died in her 91st year and "has 11 children."

The first four children of the marriage were baptised in the Anglican Church and are, thus, a matter of record. The other children are attributed through the records of property transfers, records of allied families, and in a couple of notated instances, pure probability.

Children of Arden and Sarah (Campbell) Dickinson:

1. Rebecca Polly Dickinson, born 29 November 1793, baptised 4 June 1794. The York County marriage records, Volume I, contain an entry on page 141 of the marriage on 20 January 1820 of Polly Dickinson, Wakefield, and Robert McLaughlin, also of Wakefield, witnessed by Benjamin Noble and Caleb Phillips.

2. Maria Dickinson, born 1 August 1796, baptised 11 June 1797, married 7 November 1833 Dennis Hale. Removed to the Caribou, Maine, area.

3. Mary Hester Dickinson, born 15 September 1798, baptised 25 December 1799, died 30 January 1882, married 22 November 1815 John Shea.

4. Rosanna Westwater Dickinson, born 30 April 1801, baptised 25 September 1801, died 27 March 1862, married 30 March 1818 Elihu Shea.

5. James Dickinson, born about 1803, died 3 September 1853, buried in the Lower Brighton Cemetery. James married 9 November 1826 Rebecca Brown. Her gravestone in the Lower Brighton Cemetery indicates she died 27 January 1863, age 5[2] years. In a petition for Lot 13 dated 11 October 1824, stated he and his father, Arden Dickinson, have resided on this land for the past six years and that his father "has made over his right to said lot to Petitioner."

6. (probably) Lydia Dickinson, married 9 July 1824 Abel Humphrey, both of the Parish of Northampton. Witnesses to the marriage were John Shea and James McIntosh. They may have removed to the Houlton, Maine area and there is, allegedly, a relationship between the Humphrey family of Houlton and the Hale family of Grafton.

7. (probably) Henrietta Dickinson, married 24 August 1826 Andrew Scott, both of Northampton. Witnesses to the marriage were John S. McBeath and John Shea.

8. (possibly) Arden Dickinson. Conveyed Lot 6, 185 acres in Parish of Brighton to John Shea 30 July 1839. Arden signed the deed with his mark and there was no mention of a wife. This particular lot of land was in the Newburg Settlement and actually in the Parish of Northampton, as shown on cadestral map 102.

9. Huldah Dickinson, born [8 October] 1811, died 19 October 1883 at Northampton, buried in the Lower Brighton Cemetery. She married about 1828 Martin Hale, originally from Co. Mayo, Ireland.

10. (probably) Eliza Dickinson, born about 1813, died 10 November 1897, married 19 July 1836 Enoch Dow Campbell, son of Edward and Eleanor (Camber) Campbell. Bride and groom were both of Northampton and the marriage was witnessed by John S. Cox and John Shea.

11. Harry (or possibly Harvey) Dickinson, born about 1817, married 11 April 1845 Nancy Baker. Bride and groom were both residents of Northampton, witnesses to the marriage were John W. Raymond and Charles Shea.