Finance and Treasury Board
Provincial Archives of New Brunswick
Exhibits and Education Tools
Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Community name search
Located on W side of Grand Lake, 4.29 km ENE of
: William Francis Ganong identified the Maliseet name for Douglas Harbour as Skumcook: PO 1851-1918 and 1926-1967: in 1866 Douglas Harbour was a farming settlement with about 28 families: in 1871 the community and surrounding district had a population of about 200: in 1898 Douglas Harbour had 1 post office, 1 store and a population of 100: orginally called Keyhole Harbour for its narrow entrance and circular harbour: renamed Douglas Harbour for Sir Howard Douglas who was compelled to take refuge here during a heavy storm while boating on the lake (
The Daily Sun
, Saint John, August 5, 1884).
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3751 x 2756 - 2.4 mb
Other communities within the vicinity of
* Distances and bearings were calculated by using the latitude and longitude of the community.
© Copyright 1998-2020
| 617 users