Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on W side of the Petitcodiac River, 2.26 km NW of Surrey
: Hillsborough Parish
, Albert County
: formerly called German Village for Henry Steeves and a group of German settlers who arrived in 1765 from Pennsylvania: renamed with the creation of the post office: PO Hillsborough
from 1840: in 1866 Hillsborough was a community with approximately 167 families: Richard E. Steeves was postmaster and David Wallace was a mill owner: the Albert Mining Company was located nearby: in 1871 Hillsborough had a population of 900: in 1898 Hillsborough was a seaport, a port of entry and a settlement on the Salisbury and Hillsborough Railway with 1 post office, 8 stores, 2 hotels, 1 tannery, 1 carriage factory, nearby gypsum mines and a population of 700: Hillsborough was incorporated as a village in 1966.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3760 x 2767 - 2.4 mb