Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present
Introduction | Alphabetical Listing | County Listing | Indexes | Definitions
Located on Baie Verte, 3.93 km NNE of Baie Verte
: Westmorland Parish
, Westmorland County
: first called Gaspereaux: renamed for James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin (1811-1867) and governor-general of Canada from 1846-1854: PO Port Elgin
from 1854: in 1866 Port Elgin was a farming, lumbering and manufacturing community with 40 resident families: in 1871 it had a population of 150: in 1898 Port Elgin was a station on the New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island Railway and had 1 post office, 6 stores, 2 hotels, 1 carriage factory, 1 woollen factory, 1 woodworking factory, 1 sawmill, 2 grist mills, 3 churches and a population of over 1,000: Port Elgin was incorporated as a village in 1922.
County location in province
County map showing parishes
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.
the full size version.
3847 x 2992 - 2.3 mb