GNB
Provincial Archives of New Brunswick

Place Names of New Brunswick: Where is Home? New Brunswick Communities Past and Present

Community name search   

home Introduction |  home Alphabetical Listing |  home County Listing |  home Indexes |  home Definitions


arrow Douglas
Skip Navigation Links
Description
Images
Located on E side of the St. John River, 6.7 km WNW of Fredericton: Douglas Parish, York County: formerly called Clairmont and renamed Douglas by 1866: PO Douglas 1866-1913: Named in honour of Sir Howard Douglas in 1866 (Sir Douglas passed away in 1861) : in 1866 Douglas was a farming community with about 60 families, including 8 Dunphy and 5 Hallett families: in 1871 it had a population of 200: in 1898 Douglas was a flag station on the Canadian Pacific Railway and a settlement with 1 post office, a lumber boom, 1 church and a population of 150: included Keswick Valley: PO Keswick Valley 1909-1912: Douglas is now within the city of Fredericton.

Latitude : 45° 59'

Longitude : 66° 44'

County : York

Parish : Douglas

County location in province
---
York

County map showing parishes
---
+ Zoom in
York

Cadastral Maps
---
New Brunswick cadastral maps show the basic features of the province along with the boundaries, lot number, and grantee’s name for land granted by the province. These maps are cumulative, showing all grants regardless of date.

+ Zoom in
GM126-1074
or download the full size version.
3805 x 2776 - 2.7 mb


Other communities within the vicinity of    

CommunityDistance (Kilometers)Bearing
Springhill 1.85 180° S
Aucpaque 1.85 180° S
Eccles Island 1.85 180° S
Cleoncourt 1.85 180° S
Sandon 2.26 215° SW
Cherry Bank 2.26 215° SW
Hartts Island 2.26 215° SW
Indian Island 2.58 270° W
Savage Island 2.58 270° W
Garden Creek 3.17 126° SE
Kingswood 3.17 126° SE
Pierre Paul Creek 3.17 126° SE
Silverwood 3.17 234° SW
Sugar Island 3.87 270° W
* Distances and bearings were calculated by using the latitude and longitude of the community.


4.10.9